What banner is worth raising?

I was recently watching a YouTube video by a well-known and popular leader in the New Apostolic Reformation movement.  I know I shouldn’t, but I just can’t help myself.  The armchair psychologist in me is fascinated by those who are waiting for God to redeem America through the reinstallation of the former President Trump.  As is my habit, I started scrolling through the viewer comments.  There always seems to be one or two comments which produce lots of replies, and often with some lively back-and-forth between supporters and detractors.  This one particular comment caught my attention, and not because I like it, but because it speaks to a particular problem I see among a number of politically-minded Christians.  Here is a copy of the posted comment:

After the election, I thought to bring down my Trump Make America Great Again flag, when God gave me the following scripture : " You have given a banner to those who fear You, that it may be displayed because of the truth"(Psalm 60:4). I still have the flag up, in fact I displayed it on a higher pole, right next to the American flag.

I encourage you to display your own country's flag. Display your banner intercessors! Display your banner prayer warriors! Display your banner Sons of God! Let this be our manifestation, the earth awaits. Yes the enemy has come in, But, like a flood, the Spirit of God has raised up a Standard (banner) against him.  Display your banner because of the truth! Jesus is the truth that will make this world free!


This comment had over a dozen replies, all affirming the sentiment.  I’m flabbergasted that a Christian would be prompted in her mind to recall this Bible verse, and think that it is a sign from God to raise the banner of Donald Trump higher.  I’m dumbfounded that other Christians would feel the same way.  How does this happen?  I have my suspicions, and primary among them is a lack of knowledge and understanding of the Bible.  It certainly doesn’t help to have Christian pastors and leaders promoting Christian nationalism.


There’s only one banner worthy of being raised


Throughout human history, people groups have used flags and banners as a means of identification, especially in warfare.  Banners and flags indicate identity - that which you stand for, take pride in, and live and die for. If you had only one banner to raise, what would it be?  What is the one thing you would want to hold up to let everyone know what you associate yourself with?  Would it be a country?  An elected official?  A sports team?



The Bible makes use of banners to convey an important truth:  God is our banner.  The story depicted in Exodus chapter 17 couldn’t be clearer in this declaration.  Then we are given the story of the bronze serpent banner in Numbers chapter 21, to which Jesus himself refers to in John 3:14-15, as he indicated it will be he himself which will be raised up - as our banner.


To the Christian reader, if a banner represents that which we put our hope and trust in, do we want that to be a country or an elected official?  And yet here we have a growing “Christian” movement in the United States which continually promotes Christian nationalism - the marriage of a particular political philosophy with the message of Jesus Christ, as if Jesus alone is insufficient.  When Christians are raising the banners of a country and a politician in lieu of Jesus, there’s definitely a problem.  


Let’s make sure to not fall into the trap of raising the wrong banner.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most people do not care about your god

GOD’S (false?) prophets: The Heat Is On

God’s False(?) Prophets Wrap-Up: The dilemma of seeds and weeds